Friday, September 29, 2006

Where does justice sit on the Christian agenda?

Through my 4 years at theological college I began to engage this stirring in my heart, alongside a relatively new concept I was discovering called ‘social justice’. As my theology and understanding of scripture developed I could not ignore this glaring theme that not only energized my call and passion for ministry, but caused me to question, ‘I’ve spent more than 20 years growing up in the church and this was relatively new to me?’

I began getting involved with Christian groups who shared the same passion as me. While Christian Surfers and Urban Neighbours Of Hope were active in the meaning-making of social justice and the bringing about of the Kingdom of God into peoples’ lives, one thing continued to disturb me .. neither one of these groups were mainline churches. A disturbing thesis began to develop in my mind .. has the established church lost its focus on one of the most dominant themes of scripture? Do I have to work with other organizations outside the established church in order to have the resources and support to be solely focused on the task at hand? These questions and many more made me more determined to want to work with the established church, to help rediscover that which is truly at the heart of God, the heart for justice.

I put a poll on our website recently as an experiment to test the waters. It was titled: ‘Is seeking justice the primary Christian agenda?’ 100% of those who answered the poll answered ‘no’. Next to the ‘no’ answer I had asked people to email me and let me know what then is the Christian agenda? No-one emailed me. Does that mean they don’t know or just won’t share? So if justice is not high on the agenda then what is?

For the sake of this reflection I want to answer my original question. Marcus J. Borg suggests that the Christian emphasis on God’s passion for justice has been neglected. Borg suggests that from the time of the Emperor Constantine and up until now, there has been a strong move for Christians in positions of influence to align themselves with the structure of power. The Christian focus rapidly shifted to personal salvation and cared less about social justice. Yet if we really read and engage scripture we find the many voices of justice protest against the systemic injustice of empires and kingdoms. Borg writes, “Protesting the nightmare of injustice, its central voices proclaim God’s dream of justice.” “They do so in the name of God and on behalf of the victims – slaves in Egypt, exiles in Babylon, exploited peasants most vulnerable in all times –widows, orphans, the poor, and the marginalized.” In the name of God major figures advocate a God of love and justice. New Testament scholar John Reumann writes, “Ask any hundred New Testament scholars around the world, what the central message of Jesus of Nazareth was, and the vast majority would agree that this message centered in the Kingdom of God.”

Social justice underlines the Kingdom of God. So my question then is, why is it that it is not high, if not the highest on our agenda as Christians? Why are we so preoccupied with church services, our buildings, ourselves?

God’s heart for justice in this world was expressed clearly through the life of Jesus. He was a political agitator for good reason, he sought to change social structure by touching and talking with the ‘wrong people’, and that is what he died for – the hope for a more just world – the Kingdom of God coming near. Let us not fail to live the vision Jesus died for.

Shalom

Mark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mark: interested in writing for an online magazine? See the social justice section of www.burnsidewriterscollective.com or email me: pennygruener@gmail.com (the SJ editor)

would love to hear from you!

Penny Carothers