Thursday, May 17, 2007

My last 10 days in the USA

Well, here I am in Sydney airport, scabbing some free internet from the Qantas Club hotspot. Sorry i haven't posted much while I was abroad. This was partly due to a very busy schedule but if it wasn't for that it was the dodgy wireless internet connections always dropping out, but hey, what can you expect for free? However, while I was online I got addicted to my myspace, it's like a whole new world opened up for me and I was like a little kid with a new toy so check it out if you get a chance www.myspace.com/markriessen

What an amazing time I had in the USA, 20 days all up. shortly after my last post we ended our official leadership tour and i went my own way for another week in the USA. I had an absolutely amazing experience the night we parted but I'll save that story for a seperate post when i have more time and my laptop battery isn't nearly flat.

I stayed a night in LA then headed up to Seattle for 3 days to catch up with friends. I met with an old friend from Camp Counsellors USA (haven't seen him in 11 years). Then I stayed with some old friends I journeyed through my final year of college with. I was so appreciative of the hospitality from Doug and Kathy Dornhecker and am forever grateful. I was able to be there for some significant moments in their life. One church they took me to was an 'open and affirming' church. In other words, the majority of the congregation were made up of those who 'don't fit', gay & lesbian couples and singles, homeless, mentally ill. I was speaking there that day, I found it to be the most welcoming and embracing church I came across in USA.

For my last couple of days I fulfilled a life long dream and went to Hawaii. I stayed on the main island of Oahu in the Waikiki resport area. I hire a big mal both days and went surfing at Waikiki. On one day I hired a car and drove to the north shore where I saw Wiamea Bay, dabbled my feet in the water at Pipline and went body surfing at Sunset. I couldn't believe how flat the surf was here, but then again I was warned it was the off season.

What an amazing 3 week adventure. I have so much more to blog particularly from my learnings as a result of leadership 21. However I must leave it there or I'll miss my plane. Stay tuned, I will reflect some more. Pictures will be on myspace (yeah sorry Chris I love it)

Shalom
Mark

No comments: