Saturday, March 15, 2008

Burma - what you don't see on TV

It's late and I don't have much time for blogging but I thought I'd throw in a quick one. I've been reflecting on the plight of the Burmese people since I posted my thoughts on Rambo 4. i thought I'd add a few more thoughts abou Burma.

I didn't write this in the original post but it's important to note that in Septembers pro-democracy protest where over 100 monks were arrested, the junta unleashed a wave of horrific violence on the protesters. The junta put the death toll at 15 but the human rights watch put the death toll at over 100 and another 100 missing or unaccounted for.

Following the protest there were sanctions put on Burma by the US and Europe. There is hope that a referendum will be put before the people in May. Thailand are unhappy with the sanctions posed on Burma and are offering assistance for negotiations. If all goes to plan, Burma will hold their first election since 1990 in 2010.

There is much to hope and pray for, for Burma. In the meantime, millions of innocent people are killed and displaced, thousands are held as political prisoners and Burma has a long way to go until freedom is realized.

"Use your liberty to promote ours" Political prisoner and democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi who led the National League for Democracy to a landslide victory in the 1990 election.

Help Free Burma. Check my "Rambo 4 & Burma" post for more

Shalom
Mark

No comments: