Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My mum the fool

My mum just arrived back in Adelaide this morning from Africa. 5 weeks ago she set off on a journey to an orphanage in the north of Uganda...yes that's right, Uganda.

I must say it is great to have her home again, we did miss her and probably worried about her a bit while she was gone, but most of all I am proud of her and the example she is to all who might look on.

You see many would say she's just an ordinary woman. She's been married 35 years, mother of 3 (great) kids, has a part-time job as a pharmacy assistant and is actively involved in her church. However, I've always known her as an extraordinary woman. Not only did she see me through my teenage years (she deserves a medal for that!), but she is known as 'mum' to many many other people. She has always embraced the stranger, always cared for others with a huge heart and always dared to think beyond herself.

Hence when my dad suggested she go with 3 other South Australian ladies to visit and help an orphanage in Uganda, naturally she went. This is a move taken, not without it's anxieties but always with a heart and concern for the other and an obedience in faith to a God who calls us to do justice and love mercy.

So, was it a foolish move? Did she put herself in harms way unnecissarily? Many thought so and in their wisdom tried to convince her to stay here where it's safe. That kind of makes me laugh. Show me anywhere in scripture or in history where there is a guarentee that following Jesus is safe and I will stand corrected.

So my mum did a foolish thing. An ordinary extraordinary humble middle aged woman from the Adelaide hills dared to join the jesus revolution, sadly one that far too many avoid, and went to the other side of the planet to bring hope to those who would otherwise be hopeless and be part of the story of what Christ ia already doing in Uganda. She was embrassed and educated as she learnt that she is part of a bigger story of the mission of God and now her journey with Christ is richer for it.

I'm proud of my mum for being foolish enough to step in to the zone where God needs us to be saying, 'here I am Lord, use me'. Good on ya mum!

May none of us be secure enough in our comforts, or to certian about who we think Jesus is. May our fears be over come with anticipation and our participation in the kingdom of God. May we never scoff at or talk down to those who would dare to walk the line with Jesus, rather may we have the courage to join in the life giving journey that matters.

Shaolm
Mark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes Mark!! I do deserve a medal for seeing thru teenage life:) Seriously though...I encourage everyone to 'open the eyes of their heart' to what God is calling them to do despite your age!!! AMEN