Wednesday, February 25, 2009

'Dear Westboro Baptist Church'

I was updating my video bar to reflect some of the footage taken of the National Day of mourning service when the YouTube link I've posted below poped up in the search. I wonder what you make of it. I'm kinda scared and a little bit freaked out by it, no wonder I saw no sign of Westboro Baptist Church at the service. This cute little animated puppet is one scarey dude. Have you seen Child's Play with little Chucky?

Seriously though, how helpful do you think this is? I link this post back to my post on foolish compassion. Sure we don't agree with the inhumane and outrageous views of a small minority that call themselves Christians yet hate everyone. There is something seriously wrong here and I mean some serious pshchological issues going on there with Fred Phelps and his followers.

It's interesting that I note within myself that I think I was more fired up about 'Pastor Danny's' comments from 'Catching the Fire Ministries' than I am by Fred Phelps. I just find it hard to take that guy even remotely seriously but he explains the bushfires in Australia quite simply saying, 'God hates Australia'. Of course he links it to the film Heath Ledger stars in when he played a homosexual character, saying that Australia is full of fags and we deserve it. I know I used to get angry too but I just can't take this guy seriously enough to get angry with him anymore.

Back to this video link however. What disturbs me is the assumption of attack by Australians and the condoning of violence against anyone who aligns with this thinking. We are Australian and we are better than that...I hope. Otherwise we may be just as bad as the people of the Westboro Baptist Church.

Remember the words of Jesus to love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. These are the actions I would hope we as Australians would aspire to over violence and revenge. Let's have a conversation about what that kind of love and compassion look like rather than ways in which we can hurt people who enrage us with their views and opinions.

Check the video and if you really want to see what the Westboro Baptist Church are saying you don't have to look far to find out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

are they really worth the space that is given to them?? Maybe ignore them and they will die a natural death which is more that they wish on others.