Thursday, April 19, 2007

How's your reflection?

Lent is over, Holy week has past, and the Easter event lingers on in our memories and our experience for another year. So what did it all mean for you this time around? Have you been inspired or touch by the Easter event in a new kind of way?
Our Good Friday service is still etched in my memory. I actually appreciated not taking part in the service for the first time in years and I was able to be, and ponder the message that Jonathan Moore gave. Having said that I now pause in my day to ask myself, ‘how’s your reflection?’
Jonathan spoke on the text from John 19:1-16 and his message was inspired by an article written by Barbra Brown Taylor titled ‘The Perfect Mirror’. I would like now to reflect once again upon an extract from Jonathan’s sermon:

“According to John, Jesus died because he told the truth about everyone he met. He was the truth, a perfect mirror in which people saw themselves in God’s light, for who they truly were.
What happened then goes on happening now; in the presence of his integrity our presence is exposed, in the presence of his courage and consistency our cowardice is brought to light, in the presence of his fierce love for us our hardness of heart is revealed. Take him out of the room and all of those things become relative.
In his presence people either gather around to worship him or do everything they can to shatter him.”

As part of the service on Friday we were all given a shiny, reflective piece of card that resembled a piece of smashed mirror. I look at mine everyday and wonder if I live my life with truth, integrity and honesty as Jesus did? If not, why not? What do we fear in seeking to live the way Jesus lived? When I look at my reflection in the mirror am I happy with what I see?
Now that the discipline of Lent has past, what does my reflection in Christ continue to reveal to me?
How’s your reflection?

No comments: