Thursday, June 28, 2007

Minimum Chips

I arrived at my office after being out on Wednesday afternoon to find a homeless man sitting on his bag at our office doorstep. He was asking for some assistance and I immediately went into defensive mode, I have a strict policy on not giving money to people who ask for it. Before I reacted I responded with, ‘can I get you something to eat?’ He was very appreciative and in fact that is all he wanted. I went across to the fish and chips shop with him and gave him a choice of anything on the menu. All he wanted was minimum chips. I wonder what the guy behind the counter thought as I placed the order. Here was a young man in a spiffy long black coat with a dirty old, smelly homeless guy beside him. We shared a chip and a chat and Alan (the homeless) guy said to me, ‘so are you the minister over there.’ I said yes and he responded by saying that I had restored his faith in people and the church.

I have mixed feelings about my encounter on Wednesday. There is part of me that cannot bear to see someone suffer or go without and another part of me that is suspicious of those who like to take advantage of compassionate suckers.

As Jesus walked the road through Samaria to Jerusalem he encountered all sorts of people along the way. Some were keen to follow him and others were reluctant but to all he explained that to join the Jesus movement it would come at a personal cost to them. He also explained the urgency of service for the Kingdom of God right here on our doorstep. Right here on our doorstep!

Sometimes it’s in the little things, like in a bag of minimum chips, that help us to become the people of God we are called to be, people who are not afraid to exert some sense of personal cost so the kingdom of God can truly come, a sense that our life counted for something. Whether it be a financial cost, the cost of our time, the cost of lending a compassionate ear…

I got a call yesterday with some amazing news. One of the asylum seekers Verity and I had journeyed with for 5 years, Papy, a band member of Vox Congo, was granted his permanent residency yesterday. What an amazing celebration it was for us to share in the news after sharing in a long journey of doing lots of little things to help and advocate for the guys. It gave me a deep sense that my life counted for something and that it was worth spending some of my time and energy on the little things that make big differences in peoples lives.

Shalom
Mark

No comments: