Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Prime Minister opens parliament for 2008

Well I have been more than impressed with the change of government so far.

Well done Prime Minister Kevin Rudd for your most unorthodox more to open the first sitting of parliament for the year with an indigenous Australian welcome to country and traditional ceremony. Hats off not only for pulling a political stunt but for the unconventional move for doing something that has never been done in the history of Australian government. Also for the gesture of showing our indigenous brothers and sisters that they are important to us at all levels of society. Foolishness at it's best!

I like millions of others eagerly await the historical landmark 'Sorry' speech tomorrow morning and will blog (like thousands of other bloggers no doubt) my thoughts and reflections post speech.

Shalom,
Mark

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

hey Mark...I came to your blog via Signposts, and saw the "sori tumas" and thought "what???" Where'd you go in Vanuatu? I'm going later this year - my fieldwork for my PhD is in Vanuatu and the Solomons (my Bislama and pijin sucks, unfortunately...)

Mark Riessen said...

Thanks Rebecca I was beginning to think I was just making enemies on Signposts lol. They're having a real go at me for being sympathetic towards homosexuality.
We should talk more if you're about to head over to Vanuatu. I can put you in touch with other who went with me as well. The first time I was there for 9 weeks and the second was 4. There's probably some posts on my blog somewhere about my journey's with Vanuatu.
I'll look up your blog and go from there.
Cheers